5 Signs It’s Time to Refinish Your Hardwood Floors
Hardwood floors can add value and charm to any house. They look welcoming and can fit into the home of any style. But they can only last for centuries if maintained properly.
With time, the protective coating over the floor gets worn out. If not taken care and refinished on time, then your hardwood flooring can get damaged completely, and you have to invest in its replacement. So, experts say that if you find any of the below-given signs, then consider refinishing your hardwood floor. It will make your hardwood durable, and it looks like new again.
- Water damage – Water can damage the wooden floor in the worst way. When there is water damage, you can see some dark areas on the plank or even separation or cupping of boards. There can be various reasons for water damage including broken water heater, flood, an overflowing toilet, leaking air conditioner, or moisture in the basement or adjoining area. If you don’t want this situation to become worse, then it is recommended to get it refinished on time. Water damage can turn the problem into a big one very quickly, and you have to expend a huge amount on its replacement.
- Lots of scratches – Scratches can diminish the appealing factor of your floor, making it look dull. Minor scratches are normal and hence can be avoided. But if you notice unsightly scratches then get the flooring refinished as soon as possible. It is recommended not to ignore the scratches if you want your flooring to last long.
- Hardwood is turning grey – When the board turns grey, then it is the direct indication that your floor needs refinishing. When the top protective layer wears off, the wooden board absorbs the water. Due to absorption of water, the wood oxidizes and turns grey. If you don’t pay attention to your flooring in such a situation, then the grey stains will become darker, and you may need to replace it.
- Fading or discoloration – If your house is having windows of glass, then the prolonged exposure to the sun can lead to discoloration of the wooden boards. The harmful UV rays of the sun can make your hardwood look old and dull. You can notice the difference by removing the rugs. The area under the carpets will look like a new one. Hiring experts for finishing the hardwood flooring can help in regaining the charm of the floor.
- Extensive staining – If you have kids and pets at home, then staining is obvious. Over time, you reach that point in life where stains on the hardwood floor are too much to deal with. The best thing that can be done here is to hire hardwood floor finishing specialists to remove the stains from the board.